South Africa

Man dies of smoke inhalation after a braai in the Eastern Cape

Police said a man died of smoke inhalation after a braai! How does that happen? Well, the man took his braai stand into his room to get warm after having a braai with friends.

FRIENDS OF THE MAN FOUND HIS BODY THE NEXT MORNING

After his friends were looking for him again this morning at about 11:40 at his home in Molteno Street, Cannon Hill, Kariega, they found his body on his bed.

According to police spokesperson Captain Andre Beetge, the incident happened on payday, 25 July 2022.

ALSO READ: South African woman lay DEAD in London flat for more than TWO YEARS

“At about 22:30 a 22-year-old male took his braai stand into his room to get warm after having a braai with friends.

“It is suspected that he passed away due to smoke inhalation. His identity cannot be released as his next of kin still needs to be informed.”

Web Search Engine

Captain Andre Beetge

Beetge said an inquest docket was opened and is being investigated by Kariega SAPS.

Man dies of smoke inhalation after a braai in the Eastern Cape Photo:Stock/Canva

ALSO READ: Man BROKE both his legs while fleeing from armed robbers

RESIDENTS ARE WARNED TO BE EXTRA CAUTIOUS DURING COLD NIGHTS

“The South African Police Service wishes to warn residents to be extra cautious during cold winter nights, as persons are tempted to heat their rooms and homes with electric equipment and equipment using open flames.

“These methods pose a fire risk as well as risks of smoke inhalation, and our communities are urged to use those methods responsibly and safely.”

Captain Andre Beetge

ALSO READ: Student killed by helicopter blade ‘while taking selfie’ in front of family

HERE ARE SOME FIRE SAFETY TIPS

General Safety Tips:

  • Keep matches out of the reach of children
  • Do not overload electrical sockets or run electrical cords under carpets
  • Install smoke detectors in your home
  • Take care with portable heat-generating appliances such as irons, kettles, and heaters
  • Develop and practice an escape plan – plan two ways out of every bedroom
  • Never use flammable liquids for starting braai fires or to remove stains from clothing

Know what to do if a fire occurred:

  • Display your local Fire Department telephone number near the phone then learn it
  • Crawl low in smoke
  • Never open a door that is hot to the touch
  • Wake everybody in the house
  • If your clothing catches fire – STOP, DROP, ROLL
  • Have a safe place to meet out of the house
  • Never re-enter the house for pets or personal belongings
  • Tackle the fire if it is safe to do so

Artmotion S.Africa

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button